An aviation researcher, writer, aviation participant, pilot & agricultural researcher. Author of over 35 scientific publications world wide.


Good reads

Oil Prices



Phones on Airliners:

It is an offence to have an operational phone on an aircraft, yet the polititians of the day are ignoring this responsibility. The attorney-general no less. A fine for the mere plebs would be sure to result!! if we did this.


And from Ben Sandilands:

Saturday, May 4, 2013


Attorney-General should be charged with aviation offence

It is grossly unfair for the first law officer in Australia, the Federal Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus, to be allowed to apologise his way out of an alleged refusal to turn off his mobile smart phone on a Qantas flight.

Ordinary people would have to defend their actions in court.

Ordinary people whether innocent or guilty, are not allowed to apologise for alleged offences against aviation law any more than they can apologise their way out of prosecution after being pulled over for speeding through school zones or other alleged offences.

And the law of the Commonwealth doesn’t actually differentiate between ordinary people and cabinet Ministers.

It is based on the principle that we are all equal before the law.

Mr Dreyfus has to uphold the law, even if it could be argued to be bad, silly or inappropriate law. Not apologise his way out of his fundamental obligations, which is an option not available to the people of lesser importance than the first law officer.



Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus’ apology for air incident

Mark Dreyfus

Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus/ Pic: Ray Strange

THE country’s top lawmaker has been forced into an embarrassing apology after his refusal to abide by aviation rules and turn off his mobile phone during a flight resulted in police being called to meet him when the plane touched down.

Qantas staff felt obliged to contact Australian Federal Police after Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus – who was determined to check his emails – refused to turn off his smart phone during take-off on a Sydney to Brisbane flight last week. After he ignored pre-recorded warnings about turning off all electrical equipment, a fellow passenger complained to Mr Dreyfus. His failure to follow standard safety instructions angered the passenger and a Qantas crew member, who both told him to turn off his mobile phone immediately.

Moments later a flight attendant admonished the former barrister, later reporting the situation to the captain. The airline took the incident so seriously it alerted the AFP, with officers asked to meet the plane and the Attorney-General at its destination.

Mr Dreyfus confirmed yesterday he had been told to turn off his phone and said he had apologised to those on board at the time. A spokeswoman said: “The Attorney-General regrets the incident and apologised to the passenger and to airport security.”

Mr Dreyfus had been at the opening of a Sydney legal centre on April 23.

“The AFP has been advised of an alleged incident on board a flight from Sydney to Brisbane on 23 April, 2013,” a police statement said.

“The incident involved a passenger failing to comply with the directions of crew.”

Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association secretary Steve Purvinas said yesterday Mr Dreyfus’ mobile phone could have interfered with navigation systems.

Mr Purvinas said mobile phones were banned during take-off because they could affect radio altimeters.

“The radio altimeters tell the aircraft systems what height it is at,” he said.

“If the aircraft is driving towards 30,000 feet but it thinks its already at 40,000 feet then it would tend to want to decrease altitude.

“That’s not what you like to happen just after take-off.”


Police called after Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus fails to turn off his phone on Qantas flight

Mark Dreyfus

Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus failed to turn his phone off on a Qantas flight.

QANTAS called the Australian Federal Police to deal with federal Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus after he failed to turn off his mobile phone during a flight.

The AFP confirmed today that it had received a request for assistance from the airline during the Sydney to Brisbane flight on April 23.

Officers met the plane when it landed at Brisbane Airport.

Qantas staff had told one of the country’s top lawmakers to stop using his phone during the flight for fear it could interfere with the aircraft’s systems.

But he refused and the airline staff called for help from the AFP mid-flight.

“The AFP has been advised of an alleged incident on board a flight from Sydney to Brisbane on 23 April 2013,” an AFP spokesman said.

“The incident involved a passenger allegedly failing to comply with the directions of crew.”

Did you witness this incident on the Qantas flight? Call our newsdesk on 9292 1226 or email news@heraldsun.com.au

But when the aircraft landed the airline had withdrawn its complaint

“The AFP responded to a request for assistance from the airline when the flight landed at Brisbane Airport,” the AFP spokesman said.

“On arrival the airline advised no assistance was required.”

The Attorney-General’s Office has confirmed the incident happened.

Mr Dreyfus denies that he ignored repeated requests to switch his phone off.

His office said he was asked once by flight staff to turn his phone off but not by the captain, though the flight deck was informed of his conduct, 3AW reported.

Qantas has remained tight-lipped, saying it does not comment on individual customers.