An aviation researcher, writer, aviation participant, pilot & agricultural researcher. Author of over 35 scientific publications world wide.


Good reads

Oil Prices


#casa pursues Recreational pilot through the Tasmanian Court system

The Shayd Hector matter has reached a serious stage for a young man who has very serious personal obligations that have arisen since #casa charged him and brought Shayd before the Tasmanian Court system.

Today’s news report from 27th January 2017 is below.

This was reported during 2016

NSW pilot wanted for sentencing over 2013 Bass Strait crash

 An arrest warrant has been issued for a recreational pilot who crash landed his plane in the Bass Strait in 2013, after he no-showed his sentencing date on Friday for reckless flying.

Shayd Hector, of Tingira Heights, south of Newcastle, attempted to fly an ultralight aircraft from Bridport to Flinders Island in October of that year.

The journey took a turn for the worse for Hector and his passenger Joel Nelson when they ran into engine trouble at altitude over deep water.

They crashed north-east of Bridport and needed to be rescued, but suffered only minor injuries.

Their tale of survival headlined news bulletins across the state.

But Hector found himself in court in 2015, following the incident.

Along with reckless flying, he was also charged with drinking prior to the flight and flying unlicenced.

Last year his NSW lawyer Spencer Ferrier successfully negotiated a plea deal that saw the Commonwealth drop all charges except one count of reckless flying.

The Launceston Magistrates Court heard on Friday that Hector had since struggled to pay his legal fees for Mr Ferrier, however.

Last year Hector told the court the constant travel to Tasmania for his court dates was becoming a financial burden.

Mr Ferrier has ceased his representation of Hector, meaning he was not obligated to attend Hector’s sentencing on Friday.

But Hector’s non-attendance didn’t sit well with Magistrate Sharon Cure.

Hector now faces extradition from NSW.

Earlier article:

Crash survivor mates Shayd Hector and Joel Nelson saved by $10 kids’ lilos

TWO men who became the first in living memory to ditch an aircraft in Bass Strait and survive owe their lives to a couple of $10 kiddie’s lilos and a borrowed distress beacon.

Shayd Hector and Joel Nelson, both 23, of Newcastle, were reunited with their parents yesterday after they crashed their ultralight plane and spent two hours in icy, shark-infested, waters clinging to air mattresses before being plucked to safety.

Crash mates saved by kids’ lilos

“We had a life raft in the bottom of the plane but the way it landed we couldn’t access it so we just inflated the air mattresses to get us out of the water until we could be rescued,” Mr Hector said last night.

“The whole plane smashed in around us and flipped upside down.

“I purposely told Joel to have doors open, seat belts off and EPIRB in hand.”

Mr Hector told a Melbourne radio station he didn’t think the pair would survive as the engine coughed and finally stalled.

“We didn’t know if we were going to make it. We were nearly at the point of giving up in a way,” Mr Hector said.

“We were bleeding and there was blood on the mattresses (lilos). We were pretty paranoid knowing it’s a shark-infested area among the islands.”

Mr Nelson said he was grateful his mate was a good pilot, but that he was in no hurry to fly over water again.

“I’m just happy I’m alive and really happy the rescue team came and saved us,” he said.

Joel Nelson being looked after by hospital staff / Picture: Ross Marsden

A chef by trade Mr Hector got his pilot’s licence and bought the $28,000 two-seater Thruster

Ultralight T-500 aircraf while running a restaurant in Bridport, Tasmania, for the past four years.

He moved back to Newcastle a few weeks ago and, on Monday, flew to Launceston with his childhood mate with the view of flying the ultralight to Flinders Island, staying overnight, and then hopping their way over Bass Strait and up the coast back home.

They took off from Bridport about 3pm but not long into the flight the engine failed and Mr Hector knew he had to “put it down”.

He said he tried to land tail first, forcing the fuselage to belly-flop into the water instead of having the wheels hit first and risk `flipping straight over”.

The “three-point landing” he envisioned didn’t go exactly as planned but was enough to see them survive the initial impact.

Joel Nelson wheeled from the chopper by hospital staff / Picture: Ross Marsden

With the plane sinking within 30 seconds the pair, wearing life jackets, clung to children’s lilos Mr Hector bought from Kmart for $10 on the advice of his flight instructor Eugene Reid.

Mr Reid said he spoke to the men when they arrived in Tasmania and reminded them to buy the lilos, which he said could be inserted in the wings.

“He’s a good pilot,” he said.

“We’d discussed purchasing the lilos to put into the wings. Obviously they took the lilos into the aircraft with them.”

But it was the EPIRB which enabled rescuers to zero in on their location 12 nautical miles off Waterhouse Island and save them from almost certain death by hypothermia.

Mr Hector’s new boss and Lakehouse Cafe owner Ray Fraser – an old open water sailor himself – said he lent him his.

“I felt a little bit uneasy about him crossing Bass Strait without one,” he said.

Acting Sergeant Matt Massie of Flinders Island police said they’d also managed to tether themselves together with their life vests.

Before crashing, the childhood mates were able to contact air traffic controllers at Air Services Australia, who alerted the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) Rescue Coordination Centre.

Plane crash survivor Shayd Hector with mum and dad Lynda and Stephen at home in Tingira Heights.

Three planes from Tasmania, Victoria and the Royal Australian Airforce flew to the area, along with helicopters from both states and a Sharp Airlines passenger plane, the crew of which managed to spot them.

Three police boats and a private sail boat also joined the rescue and Flinders Island police were the first to reach them just before 5pm.

Mr Hector’s relieved mum Lynda Hector said she didn’t want him to fly the plane back but “you know boys, when they get something in their head”.

 “I thought `Oh my God’,” she said.

“I thought I’d lost him because I didn’t want him to fly from there home.”

Detective Sergeant Mike Gillies, who described the survival as a “miraculous”, said the men were extremely lucky to have made it at all, let alone unscathed.

“This instance while it had a very happy ending, it could have been quite the opposite,” Det Gillies said.

“To actually crash land in Bass Strait and be in hospital within three hours was a pretty good effort I reckon.

“They were very cold and they appear to be suffering from hypothermia, but apart from some minor scrapes and bruises they were uninjured.

“The water temperature was very cold, in the area of 13 degrees … in those temperatures it was serious the minute they went into the water, they had a very short time for survival.”

AMSA spokeswoman Andrea Hayward-Maher said the men’s emergency beacon, with satellite technology, was crucial to the rescue.

“That’s one of the things that’s crucial in search and rescue operations, especially if you’re on the water, it makes our job much easier,” she said.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.